Sunday, January 09, 2011

Health Care RANT

I hate insurances.
So my sweet boy had a really hard time breathing all night long last night. He didn't sleep well (so neither did mom or dad), and was obviously not feeling well. Then this morning he started to cough, and was still having difficult breathing. So I figured that this morning I would take him to an urgent care just so we could get checked out to make sure that there wasn't anything in his lungs. As someone who has asthma, I know how bad and how quick congestion can turn into something serious.

After calling/stopping by 4 urgent cares to find out NONE of them took my insurance and the one that did, doesn't take infants, my only option was to take him to the ER. SERIOUSLY! This wasn't an emergency, this was a mommy wanting to make sure her little man could breath ok and get checked out super quick by a doctor. Its not like he couldn't breath, or really needed to be in the ER, but if I wanted to see a Dr that was covered by my insurance that was my option on a Sunday morning. So we went to the ER paid our $15 co-pay, and got checked by the Dr. The little one is fine, just bad congestion :( we still need to keep an eye on it, but he should be ok.

My point: How is it in ANYONES best interest to be forced to take up room and time in an emergency room w/ a case of the sniffles? My little one just needed to be checked out to make sure he didn't have congestion in his lungs. I think that it is absolutely ridiculous that the health care system is that screwed up. Out of pocket cost for me at an ER = $15 for insurance at least 250. Out of pocket cost for me at an Urgent care = $100-$250 and I'm sure in total cheaper for the insurance company. No wonder health care is so screwed up in this country. I totally don't agree w/ "Obama care" but I do say there is a better way to do this health insurance thing.

No comments: